An ideal way of keeping blood sugar under control is by introducing a healthy diet. No doubt, that people try skipping meals when they are diagnosed with symptoms of blood sugar, however the real strategy that can work to bring about normal blood sugar levels in the body is – RIGHT dietary changes.
If you can work on your eating habits, maintaining normal blood sugar levels become less complex and thus minimizes the probability of several health complications. People suffering from high or low blood sugar levels are primarily advised to follow a perfect meal plan which should aim to provide the body with essential nutrients, calories & energy. A dietitian can help you design a diet plan after complete diagnosis & considering any former infirmities such as high cholesterol levels, high blood pressure and more. For a person who is not diagnosed with blood sugar level abnormalities, it is the knowledge and awareness that can help to keep his/her blood sugar at safe levels.
Understanding Blood Sugar (Or Plasma Glucose Levels) & Its Symptoms
Blood sugar means simple sugar dissolved in the blood which is consumed from the ingested food. Blood sugar or blood glucose helps stimulate the blood cells & boosts the metabolism. Normally the body maintains an ideal range from 70 to 100 mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter) whereas a random increase up to 140mg/dl can be seen after a meal. For proper body functioning, you need to have the correct amount of sugar or glucose present in your blood.
Sugar enters the bloodstream in the form of glucose which is then passed into muscle cells & tissues by insulin hormone, for performing body processes, whereas surplus glucose is stored as glycogen in the liver, for use when the body falls short of food. When the blood glucose levels are low, the liver releases glycogen to form glucose and this keeps the blood glucose level at an optimal range.
Abnormal blood sugar levels can cause:
Hyperglycemia or elevated blood sugar (more than 200mg/dL): Causes debilitating disease “Diabetes” that requires lifetime treatment.
Hypoglycemia or chronic low levels in blood sugar (falls below 70 mg/dL): A Chronic condition caused due to poor consumption of insulin by the pancreas, when the food is digested.
|When a diabetic eats ample sweet food and his body falls short of insulin required for regulating the blood sugar levels, the normal glucose range reaches peak levels giving rise to the following symptoms:||When a diabetic avoid balanced-diet or exercise hard with excess diabetes medication, his body fails to utilize the excessive insulin. In the absence of sugar, body does not get required energy & following symptoms are seen to occur:|
|Blurred vision||Lack of energy|
|Dry body||Tiredness & Depression|
|Nausea||Sweating & Weakness|
|Frequent urine||Muscle weakness & liver-cells reduced function|
|Excessive thirst/hunger||Fast heart beat|
|Overweight||Body craves for hunger & thirst|
|Risk of heart strokes||Dizziness|
|Risk of kidney & liver failure||Extreme hunger|
|Body feels retarded|
It’s all about working on right diet plan
- Read the food labels and ingredients before buying – The food that we consume daily includes different types of sugar in natural & processed form and it is important to know how much sugar is consumed by us through the day. Choose correct ingredients for your body & check daily calorie intake.
- Improve food choice – Select food low in carbohydrates & high in protein for healthy digestive system.
- Avoid nutrient deficient foods which can cause physical & emotional stress.
- Prefer herbs & natural sweeteners.
- If diagnosed with diabetes mellitus syndrome, stick to diabetic diet which acts as a catalyst for keeping blood sugar & weight in control.
- Change your sedentary lifestyle – Due to inactive lifestyle, body loses its strength, flexibility and stamina. Exercise the body muscles to develop overall fitness levels.
According to Robert H. Butler:
- If you cannot limit your food interests & overcome food cravings, adopt a daily work-out and exercise regime & indulge in meditation to burn those extra calories & negative energies.
- Medical HELP – Speak to your doctor for all tests & complete medication to prevent future health complications.
Develop habits that improve your blood sugar levels & in-turn overall health.
If you are curious to know about how variation in blood sugar levels can affect your health status, take an inside glimpse of our related posts.